28 July 2010

Avant-Garde: Zombie Genesis

The future is looking up for the Bricks in Motion Avant-Garde competition. Here's an entry from Nick Durron (director of Picturesque, which I luckily didn't review when it was released because I thought it was awful).



I must admit when I first saw the title of Zombie: Genesis I feared the worst. Another zombie movie. Trying to be realistic. It looked like things were all downhill for the Avant-Garde competition.

However, when I watched it I realised it was in fact a very clever, witty and well made Brickfilm with a clear style and a clear aim. It's a parody of informercial-like programmes you see about the making of movies. It preys on the stereotypes - both obvious (the Swedish bodybuilder, who is the star of the movie) and subtle (the director, who speaks in a Hollywood style that everyone knows all too well). It's well observed, fairly well animated (though some work still needs to be done on the face animations) and I'd say it was a great film overall.

Will it win Avant-Garde? I don't think so. I don't really want it to, either; it's certainly different but it's not something that is truly avant-garde. Either way, Nick Durron has really improved his rep with me after Picturesque.


~John

No comments: