4 December 2009

Novvember '09: The round-up


This year's Novvember has been well and truly fantastic! As expected, there was a sharp influx of 'Vipers on the last day as everyone thought "Damn, I need to finish mine by tonight", but before we look at those let's pick the best out from where I last left off - the 7th November.



First up, we've got two great microscale 'Vipers by Zeessi. I really love the one on the right - the left one is a bit blocky (excuse the pun) but there are some great parts usages anyway. The dark colour highlights are nice, too.





Of course I couldn't do this round up whilst ignoring some of Fredoichi's stuff. Firstly (top) is the 'Hime', with some pretty pink highlights, the underside of those under-curves and a nice simple shape. Then we go from pink to purple, with the Ikari. Take a closer look and you'll see the purple cab roof fit perfectly into that from shape.

Talking of brilliant 'Vipers, here's some rather abstract shapes in Cole Blaq's "Jaune" (yellow). He says he doesn't like it that much, but I do. Sure, there are some parts which aren't perfect as we'd expect from Cole (the Technic bars under the cockpit), but the wings look really great.



I really like _Nash's stuff, so it is no surprise to me that I love his sleek Vic Viper. The combination of smooth slopes and flat side-bricks is lovely (dang I can't think of a better adjective), despite the exposed slopes.



When you have rules about what a spaceship should look like (Nnenn's Three Laws of Vic Vipers) is that you can get some really crazy stuff as a result of bending said rules. Take legosamauri's fantastically shaped Viper. I simply love the use of those slopes with sand green squares (from the original Slave I IIRC). I should get down to using mine sometime...



We wouldn't have a totally wide range of Vic Vipers without some Classic Space. Whilst Pete Reid astounded us with Space Police Vipers, Wizz Bang! provided us with his own unique style of Neo-Classic Space. Beautiful.

Finally, here's PyrÆ’yre's unique contribution to the group: the 'Vick Vapor', based off Vick's Vapor Rub. Because, after a whole month of building pretty much the same thing, it really was time for someone to break the ice with a bit of light-hearted humour. Even Kevoh from the Twee Effect blog made his own little diagram: "Vic Vipers: Beating a dead dog". Heh heh.


So that just about wraps up another successful Novvember. Sure, we've been beating a dead dog so much it's now more of a mushy dog-smelling mess, but we've had a heck of a lotta fun doing it. And besides, it got Nnenn back into building after moving house, so it's generally win-win, right?

Well, that's for you to decide. I hope you enjoyed Novvember as much as I did, so much so that I may keep the Novvember background for a while. I really love those sketches.


~John

No comments: