25 October 2008

Battle on the ice






It's time to battle...on ice! Let's hope the underdogs ex-skate, and winners aren't too frosty! Oh, sorry about those jokes, I'm in a good mood. I've just cleared out my room, and I'm sitting here with my wonderful MacBook Pro sitting proud atop my otherwise-empty desk. This creation, made by The Stone Goblin, is apparently a vignette of a famous battle that happened on ice. But what battle? I know, StoneGoblin will tell us...

The Battle of Lake Peipus was a battle between the Republic of Novgorod led by Prince Alexander Yaroslavich against the Livonian branch of the Teutonic Knights on April 5, 1242, at Lake Peipus. The crusader forces likely numbered somewhere in the area of 500 to 1000. Most of them were probably Chud (Estonian) levies. The Russian force in contrast numbered around 5,000 soldiers: Alexander and his brother Andrew's bodyguards (druzhina), who numbered around 1,000, plus the militia of Novgorod.


Er...Ok...
Well, it's a brilliant battle diorama. I love large creations which have loads of stuff going on at once, and this is one of them. It looks so clean, the bits of ice flowing off are well designed and look clean, brilliant white and, well, just like bits of ice. To see more about this creation, click here.

No comments: